Monday, November 30, 2009

So, what kind of Christmas tree?

This is a conundrum for me. Albeit, a bit of a manufactured one as I am not a practicing Christian, though I was raised in a Christian tradition and my daughter considers herself one.

But, what's more environmentally-friendly? A fake tree, made of wire and plastic, or a real tree?

The jury's out.

I've had a fake tree for years and comforted myself with the notion that I'm not cutting down a real tree, only to throw it out a month later. But the tree is starting to get old, and shed its little bits (another reason for not having a real tree - clean up!) And yes, I know there are some greener options, such as a tree planted in a bucket, but I think only so many of those can be planted in a person's yard. So, maybe for a year or two. What then?

Perhaps we should phase out the Christmas tree tradition? It is really necessary?

3 comments:

purpledogstar said...

The striking thing about your tree is that it's enormous! lol

Unknown said...

Well, I inherited it, so that explains the size!

Lost In Cyberspace said...

Unless there's a shortage of xmas trees I don't see it as an issue from a moral standpoint. Yes pine needles are a pain in the arse for sure but they are nice. Saying this I wont have one as I don't see the point and because I think its a waste of money. I also don't think xmas has any meaning any longer (if it ever did at all) beyond a commercial sense. I have a miniature musical xmas tree and that is all I am having. xmas sucks.

Sincerely

Mr Curmudgeon